I wrote this for your 36th birthday, was too lazy to write something new, but wanted the world to re-read the 36 reasons you’re a rock star. I love us.
In no particular order, I give you:
1. You don’t get mad when I forget to refill the dog food bin and you have to do it at 4:45am.
2. “You body slam us.” –the girl (Readers, please note: it’s a gentle, meant to be fun not call CYS kind of body slam)
3. You take pride in everything you do.
4. There’s a quiet confidence about you, and that’s one of the initial reasons I was attracted to you. After your face, of course.
5. “PAPER FOOTBALL!” –the boy
6. I don’t think I could manage life without you. I love you and all that junk, but seriously, I need help.
7. There is so much laughter in our house and it’s almost always because we’re laughing
at because of with you.
8. You’re a team player. You go places you don’t want to go, do things you don’t want to do, and rarely complain. I like that about you. Also, I’d like to go to the mall soon.
9. “He carries me to bed when you say, ‘You’re a big girl, you can walk.'” –the girl
10. You’re smart. Yet have no common sense. Please see #7.
11. You’re faithful. To me and God.
12. I trust you implicitly, explicitly, and whole-heartedly.
13. Despite my unwavering opinion that it’s unnecessary, you fertilize the lawn like a boss.
14. You hide your beer behind your back to class up our pictures.
15. As long as you don’t fall asleep, or bite your thumb nail to hell, you give a mean back rub.
16. Everything you say matters. It’s not fluff or for show. It’s genuine and means something.
17. Yes, I’m biased, but I still think you’re one of the best teachers out there. We need more Mr. J.s
18. I hear horror stories about some husbands cheating, lying, conniving, and I thank your parents I got a good one.
19. You put on HGTV the other night without me having to ask. That was awesome.
20. “Daddy’s funny! He makes me laugh when he says Caillou’s a whiner!” –the girl
21. When we recently talked about striking a balance between your work and mine, you offered to put yours on the back burner to let me focus on new opportunities. I can’t tell you what that meant to me.
22. You’re a hands-on Dad. That’s sexy.
23. You never take off your wedding ring.
24.”He makes me do math. I actually really like math.” –the boy
25. Thankfully, you don’t mind the mess that has become our house.
26. You’re not threatened by a headstrong, outspoken woman. Good thing, too, ’cause I think we’re raising two of’em.
27. You’ve got a great sense of humor. Because you think I’m funny.
28. When I’m all AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!, you’re all ahhhhhhhhhhhh… That’s why we work.
29. You’re considering a fourth baby. Just pretend.
30. My family adores you. Man, wouldn’t it suck if they didn’t?!
31. You always help. I never carry all the bags, schlep all the kids, or unload all the groceries by myself. You’re my boy, Blue!
32. I like watching you coach. You get all intense and kinda scary. Hmm…I’m learning a lot about myself right now…
33. Envy doesn’t even begin to describe the way I feel about your ability to sleep. You fall asleep anywhere, can sleep through anything, and apparently only need, like, 5 hours to function.
34. “I’m done making lists.” –the boy
35. Your affinity for a well-placed curse word makes me smile.
36. You’re never done growing, learning, or improving. That’s how I know I’ll never get bored with you. I think I’ll keep you for at least another year.