Raise your hand if you know teachers who spend their own money on classroom stuffs.
That’s a rhetorical question, you guys. EVERYONE knows a teacher who forks over cash money for extra pencils, classroom decor, or to supplement their lesson plans. The average teacher actually spends, like, $500 out of pocket every year! I’m having a hard time thinking of other professions where that kind of spending isn’t reimbursed. As an unfortunate result, many teachers have abandoned things like extension activities and hands-on projects because they’re expensive, yo! What’s worse is that those activities and projects are almost always STEM-related.
And if you have a pulse, you understand how American education needs to bring its A-game in order to compete with other countries and continue making important advancements in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
In short: we need more STEM, but the money isn’t always there. Hashtag Debbie Downer.
But CITGO is changing that! *insert confetti cannons*
CITGO has teamed up with WeAreTeachers (they may sound familiar–I write for them. Ahem.) to celebrate and support STEM education with their Fueling Education Sweepstakes. I’m talking a celebration of imagination and innovation! Comprehensive info to share with the community! Classroom resources! As a bonus for incorporating these ideas into their curriculum, teachers have a chance to receive STEM-related prizes that benefit their students.
Share the following sweepstakes details with all the teachers you know, and let’s put the United States back on track to being a leader in education:
- Teachers enter the CITGO Fueling Education Sweepstakes HERE!
- TellCITGO how your students are using STEM learning to boost their creative and critical thinking skills, and your classroom could win amazing prizes like…
- Training workshops and professional development sessions with ‘America’s Science Teacher,’ best-selling author, and Emmy-award winning television personality, Steve Spangler (grand prize)
- Students could attend one of Spanglers’ “Science in the Rockies” workshops (9 prizes)
- Your classroom could win a $1,000 National School Supply Voucher — (Ninety (90) teachers will win a voucher from National School Supply for $1,000 in classroom supplies!)
- If you’re one of the first teachers to enter, you’ll get a free STEM Toolkit Bonus with tons of fun STEM “Imagination Lab” experiments and other fun stuff. (Available while supplies last). Or just take the initiative and download the toolkit HERE! You can also download individual STEM content for use in your classroom HERE! Or see individual links below. CITGO and WAT are givers, aren’t they?
Toolkits for Grades 3-5 & 6-8
Download Lab Booklet
Download Take-Home Booklet
- Teacher Wrap cover for Grades K-2
- 21 Ways to Fuel STEM Education In Your Classroom (2 pages)
- About the CITGO Fueling Education Program
- Family Imagination Center
Good luck and get to it! Special thanks to CITGO and WeAreTeachers for the fantastic opportunity!